Friday, April 5, 2019

Ottawa-area flying in 1975

Hang gliding really started in the Ottawa Valley when pilot name Bob Johannsen started a school with gliders from Muller Kites. I knew about the sport after reading an article in Esq. magazine in the summer of 1974. At Carleton University, where I was entering second year, I spotted posters advertising lessons for the enormous sum of $35. Somehow I scrounged together the cash and took my first lesson on October 23 call stack year.

By the following summer, I had made several high flights at King Mountain in Gatineau Park but still returned to my training slope at Edelweiss ski hill in Québec when the wind direction was right. Here are some pictures I took at that time of my instructor Chris Mills, who coincidentally was a fellow student at my high school.


Chris Mills flying at Edelweiss ski hill
Chris Mills flying down Intermediate ski run

Chris Mills after launch with his Muller 1817 at King Mtn.
Chris flying out to the LZ below King Mtn.

4 comments:

  1. Pilotei uma Olympus 160 You Tube Rampa de Salesopolis 29 junho 2019

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pilotei uma Olympus 160 You Tube
    Rampa de Salesopolis 29 junho 2019

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was briefly involved. My friend Jamie Midwinter's brother, Stewart had a kite. I think he set a record duration flight off King Mtn. He let us try to learn at Edelweiss, Carlington and the Experimental Farm. I crashed a couple of times. Pre helmet days. I wasn't allowed to continue. I have lots of helmets now though.😎

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to "tap" in I flew there from '75 to '82

    Regards,
    peter clements, pecleme @ sympatico.ca

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean please, and on topic. No political arguments, no selling. If you are a Facebook user, then please share your post with this group's page on Facebook.

Record setting procedure in Canada

 We've tried to simplify the record setting procedure in Canada, so that it doesn't mean jumping through as many hoops as you would ...